Tuesday, November 4, 2014

10/20

My profile: My name is Kelsey and I am a senior at North Hall High School. I am a very involved person; I am marketing manager/sports photographer in my yearbook staff, I play piano in jazz band, I play tennis year round, I mentor with Jim Haynes photographer in my county's Honors Mentorship Program, and participate in mission trips through my church. Being such an involved person has shown me countless career paths that I can take. Become a marketer, a tennis coach, or a photographer. Eventually I chose photographer because it is what excites the most. Sports photographer is my specific field that I want to be. There's something about the intensity of sports being caught on camera. You catch the quick moments that are easily missed but give the biggest impact. Being involved in the Mentorship Program has let me work alongside Jim Haynes and learn what it takes to be a photographer.

However, when I chose to be a photographer, I didn't know exactly where to begin. Do I take classes, buy books, start my own business? I didn't know where to start. Eventually with guidance from friends and family, I found the Mentorship Program. Hearing accomplishments from past students and friends who were involved in the program, I was hooked. I knew this was a beneficial way to begin my path as a photographer. Now actually being in the program I realize that I made a good choice. While classes and books are helpful, I can get the full experience by being in the work field with Haynes. I know this program is what is going to make me different from the rest and ultimately launch my career.

My internship: I mentor with photographer Jim Haynes at his studio. His studio is at his house where he lives on the countryside; across from a dairy farm he worked at in his earlier years, and miles of long pasture and woods. I have known Jim for a while sense he took my brother's senior pictures and his work intrigued me so I kept in touch with him. Once I heard about the Mentorship Program I launched at the idea of having Haynes as my mentor. Things went smoothly from there. He was interested in the idea of being a mentor and said yes the first time I asked. Now here I am!

Our activities range from photo shoots, editing/sorting pictures, working in Photoshop, brainstorming, setting up props, etc. With the occasional new activity, our work is usually in steps.
1) Photo shoot
2) Sort through pictures
3) Edit best pictures in programs (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.)
4) Any additional purchases: frames, books, etc.
5) Deliver product
While this is a general list, there are many more sub-steps in each of these, but this is the basic order. Each step is vital to make the best product for the clients and each steps takes a substantial amount of time, minus deliver.

I chose to work with Haynes because he is a very understanding person that doesn't rush things. Work goes at his pace and it works very well for him and his business. He has showed me that each photographer does their business differently and what works for them. Working with him has opened many things to me but the biggest asset he's given me is my new found confidence in my career path.

My future: I plan to attend a college, Berry College specifically, major in marketing and take all opportunities in the photography field. Berry does not offer photography as a minor and I believe this actually works for me because it will force me to find those opportunities to further my experience and my passion. It will make me active in the field on photography because I'm looking for opportunities. My ultimate dream is to become a sports photographer and majoring in marketing is a good step for me to learn about ways to market myself and my product. So I can survive in the the workforce. Soon I'll hear from Berry whether I am accepted or not. Keep fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey-

    This mentorship is so perfect for you seeing how you want to pursue a career with photography! Knowing you and your passion for sports and photography so I couldn't have picked a better mentorship for you! I hope you get into Berry and get to chase your dreams!

    ReplyDelete